Skip to main content

Beoƿ, Beowa, Beowulf and Barleycorn

I've been playing Dungeon World (kind of D&D lite?  I guess?) with fambly.  It's quite enjoyable!  I've always kind of wanted to play D&D (after I got over the concern I'd get possessed by demonic dice) but never did.  I'm staring down the barrel of having to literally sing for my supper (and a poultice) and trying to pick the appropriate song for the occasion.  I decided on "John Barleycorn."  

The song is delightful.  It's an allegory about the creation of alcoholic beverages which MAY have ancient roots.  More on that later.  In one version, John Barleycorn gets in a scrum ... nay, a kerfuffle! ... with some other gentlemen named Thomas Goodale, Richard Beer and William White Wine.  Amazing!  A later version, much influenced by this rendering by Robert Burns, seems much more ancient than it's predecessor.  Three men (or kings) set upon John Barleycorn and kill him.  But he springs back up.  So they kill him again (by scythe) and do all manner of other horridries to him including grinding him between two stones.  But John Barleycorn wins out in the end because now he (in his form as alcohol) has brought all the others low.  They cannot function without him.  

Here's what interested me.  Kathleen Herbert in "Looking for the Lost Gods of England" argues that Barleycorn is directly descended from an Anglo-Saxon deity named Beoƿ (Beowa, Beaw, Bēow, Beo or Bedwig ... the "ƿ" is "wynn" or the letter "w").  That immediately set off all my "Beowulf" alarm bells, so I started digging and I have learned me some thangs.  

First, there's some confusion about the prologue of "Beowulf" of which I was not aware.  There is a person named Beowulf who is one of the progenitors of the Sheafings who is definitely not the same as the Beowulf for whom the poem is named, who was of the Geats.  Some scholars, including Tolkein, believe that the Sheafing Beowulf is better rendered as "Beoƿ/Beow."  This side-by-side translation of the prologue with the original, transliteration and translation does that (check the 2nd to last line in the 2nd stanza).  

Note: I've come to discover that a LOT of the stuff I had thought was true about pagan origins of Christian things is ... not rooted in actual history.  While many of the elements MIGHT have had roots in pagan practice, there's shockingly little evidence for it.  I'd heard and believed forever that St. Brigid was a pagan goddess morphed into a Christian saint.  Again ... little to no evidence for this.  And so forth.  I haven't researched the following part for myself, so take it with a grain of salt.  


According to Kathleen Herbert (and others), there is an Anglo-Saxon barley/agriculture god named Beoƿ (the Old English word for "barley").  What's interesting is that, in the prologue of Beowulf, Beoƿ is one of the Sheafings because he is the descendant of Scyld Sheafing or Scyld of the Sheaf.  Scyld refers to one of the oldest, legendary, Danish kings Skjöldr (Skioldus, Skjold or Skiold).  I can't find anything that says Skjöldr is in any way related to any kind of deity, so I don't know about that.  

But, if Tolkien is correct about the prologue referring to Beoƿ rather than Beowulf, then the prologue of "Beowulf" is mostly referring to "Barley, son of the Sheaf."  Despite my reservations, it seems like Kathleen Herbert may be on to something.  

The connection between Beoƿ and John Barleycorn, however, is purely conjecture and the kind of thinking that led to all the Christmas and St. Brigid stuff I was referring to earlier.  Or, I assume it is.  I haven't read the book.  But that seems like it would be INCREDIBLY difficult to trace all the way back to the 7th century or whenever. 

Regardless, I already loved the song and now I love it even more.  I'm wondering if the prologue to "Beowulf" could be set to the melody I learned for John Barleycorn.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

St. Cædmon's Hymn

  I can't remember what made me think of Cædmon's Hymn again, but it sent me down a hole of St. Melangell (rabbit-hole ... get it???) of memory.  I used to have this thing memorized in Old English and was trying to set it to something singable.  No easy feat which, I guess, is why I never finished it.  As a refresher, Cædmon's hymn might be (likely is) the oldest poem written in Old English.  It's almost certainly the oldest surviving bit of Old English poetry.  Here's the story of it's composition as written by the Venerable Bede, one of my heroes of the faith:

A Biblically-based Father

On Father's Day 15 years ago, I wrote a blog about my dad , comparing him to some of the more accomplished fathers of history like Ghandi, John Lennon and Billy Sunday.  The general thesis was that they were respected but sucked as fathers and, thus, they are failures.  My father has little of the kind of respect they had, but put his family before everything and, thus, is a success.  Now, this conclusion can be questioned, especially since his felonious, ex-con, loser of a son is writing this.  But my failures aren't due to his parenting, so I'd rather he not be judged by me.  Plus, his other kids are veritable paragons of success and awesomeness, so ... you know ... 4 out of 5 ain't bad, right?  Why, then, am I revisiting this? I recently watched a (throws up in my mouth a bit) PragerU video about parenting.  I saw a review and decided to watch it to see if the review was fair.  So you don't have to watch it, he claims that children and parents are happiest when